Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Dr. Who, I Presume?

A dear friend of mine sent me a picture the other day in a email that was titled 'I WANT THEM ALL!!!' If you don't know us, we're crazy, quirky, nutty, whatever version of 'insane' you want to use, that's us. So, seeing that email subject, it could have been anything. When I opened the email, this polyvore post is what was in there:

http://www.polyvore.com/doctors_10_11/set?.embedder=1106466&.svc=tumblr&id=40875194

This post is awesome in that the author not only put together those outfits, but they give you the link to where to buy the exact article of clothing. Awesome! If you're not on a budget or broke like we folks in the arts industries. EM and I both happen to work in the arts which means crap pay when you can get it and chunks of time when you are completely idle. Not good for the $870 leather jacket on that post. Enter me, the 'dress for less' guru. Lets break it down.

Look one, Dr. 9:


 
I am a sucker for a hot leather jacket which is probably why I own two. This black blazer-style one is awesome. I would love to own it. God love net-a-porter, but ... $870? Yikes. Even for a statement piece, no one but a well-to-do celebrity is buying that in this economy. Here are some better options:

If you still want the high end look, but a bit of a better price tag: Lucky Brand for $399
For the vegans: Sanctuary for $159
For a non-leather look: MICHAEL by Michael Kors for $195
IZOD for $129.99
A more blazer-like look: Grace for $39.99
For a bit of a military feel: Gabriella Rocha for $58
United Face for $150.99

On to that beautiful green sweater
Modcloth.com for $37.00
Modcloth.com for $32.99
Jones New York for $11.99
For a cardi kind of look: Modcloth.com for $39.99

If you all really need me to help you find a dark wash pair of skinny jeans, I will, but I recommend TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Salvation Army and any consignment store for cheap options. Ever pair of skinnies I own came from Salvation Army. The most expensive pair was $6.99 and I supported charity. Rock on.

Those boots are pretty boss, so let's tackle them next, shall we?
I so dig these even though they are slightly different: Modcloth.com for $79.99
Also Modcloth.com for $49.99
Slightly taller: Modcloth.com for $89.99
Sam & Libby for $39.99
Beston for $42.99
Journee Collection for $41.99


Pretty interesting accessories there. Let's see what I can find.
Wolf necklace from Overstock: $43.99
 Wolf necklace from Etsy.com: $21.65

Both the necklace and the ring were really hard to find, so here are some alternatives to the gas mask ring:
Steam punk ring from Etsy.com:$40
Steam punk ring from Etsy.com: $65

And finally that red purse:
Girl With Curves Modcloth.com for $74.99
For something a little softer: Modcloth.com $79.99

Don't forget to haunt your local TJ Maxx, Marshalls, consignment stores and Salvation Army to find some of these pieces for even less!

After researching my tush off for the ninth Dr. I have decided to do these three outfits in a three part blog series. Check back next week for the tenth Dr.!



No comments:

Post a Comment